Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Inc. is committed to diversity in the workplace. Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Position Title: Golf Course Foreperson
Reports To: Golf Superintendent
Supervises: 1 – 15
Requirements: City of Buffalo residency, NYS Driver’s License
The golf course foreperson position prepares and maintains golf course greens, fairways, and other golf course surfaces as required, ensuring compliance with all golfing regulations and standards. Sets course tee and cup placements, minor repairs to irrigation systems, and operates and maintains greens keeping equipment. Under the direction of the Golf Superintendent, establishes and implements golf course maintenance goals, policies and procedures. Ensures adherence to all relevant regulations, guidelines, and standards for athletic fields, as applicable. Works with a team of seasonal turf technicians, serving as their task manager.
This position is non-exempt according to the Fair Labor Standards Act and the NYS Department of Labor rules and regulations. The workweek includes flexible schedules depending on the workload, with some weekend and holiday work.
Major Duties and Responsibilities: (In accordance with Course Workplans and Superintendent Directives)
- Sets golf course to include cutting cups, setting tees, repairing greens, raking bunkers, and mowing greens and fairways.
- Maintains golf course, including bunkers, greens, and tee boxes; mows bunker faces and performs pest control.
- Maintains and repairs irrigation systems, in consultation with the facilities/infrastructure specialist and City of Buffalo.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies and promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Oversees assigned personnel, which includes assigning work, work allocation, training and problem resolution; evaluating performance and making recommendations for personnel actions; motivating employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
- Assists in the maintenance and restoration of the athletic fields as needed and in coordination with District Supervisors.
- Assists in special construction projects as required.
- Attends BOPC operational staff meetings, as requested.
- Any and all other duties as assigned by management.
Qualifications and Attributes:
- At least 3 years of experience equivalent to job responsibilities, including golf course experience.
- Pesticide Applicator License is a plus, with knowledge of fertilizer and/or pesticide applications.
- CDL license is a plus.
- Knowledge of golf course maintenance activities to include placement of tees and pins, irrigation techniques, and turf care.
- Familiarity with USGA regulations regarding course settings, along with marking sports fields, golf equipment repairs, standards for athletic fields, and reel sharpening standards.
- Ability to identify turf pests and perform turf grass maintenance and treatment.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
- Resourcefulness in utilizing staff and/or equipment approved by the annual budget to the greatest benefit of the BOPC.
- This is a seasonal to long-season position, primarily in the field.
- Primarily outdoor hands-on work. May perform in extreme weather conditions. Some office or paperwork required.
- These job duties require an employee to bend, reach, stoop, stand and/or walk for extended periods, as well as lift and/or move heavy objects at times up to 50 lbs.
- These job duties may require an employee to drive distances between park features or locations, and to potentially operate standard to heavy machinery.
- Must be able to adapt to ever changing resources and limited budget.
- This position may be required to respond to emergency, on-call situations, or approved overtime hours, and may include fieldwork throughout the Olmsted Park System.
Please submit resume via mail or e-mail to: Melissa Pidanick – HR Department: 84 Parkside Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14214 or Melissa@bfloparks.org
No phone calls please.
This job description is intended to identify and list the responsibilities, duties and qualifications for the position. It cannot be considered all-inclusive, however, as changing organizational circumstances can result in changes to some of those responsibilities, duties and qualifications. Further, every task supporting the functioning of the position may not be listed or not listed in detail. This job description does not constitute a contract of employment.
Updated: January 27, 2020