Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Inc. is committed to diversity in the workplace. Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Position Title: Major Gifts Officer
Salary Range: $52,000 – $62,000
Reports To: Director of Development and Communications
Requirements: City of Buffalo Residency
View job posting on Indeed here
As part of the Development team, the Major Gifts Officer will be responsible for overseeing the creation and implementation of vital fundraising efforts in support of the Conservancy’s mission and an upcoming endowment campaign. In partnership with the Director of Development and Communications, the Major Gifts Officer will utilize donor and organizational data to identify prospective donors for major gifts ($5,000 and above), develop and implement cultivation and solicitation strategies, prepare proposals, participate in the solicitation process, develop gift agreements, and steward donors.
The Major Gifts Officer will be expected to conduct face to face, zoom, and telephone meetings with prospects and current donors, while also adhering to internal standard operating procedures for documenting contact with all donors and prospects. Reporting to the Director of Development and Communications, the Major Gifts Officer will work closely with development staff to ensure adherence to gift policies and is anticipated to support an endowment campaign and its task force/committee.
This position is non-exempt according to the Fair Labor Standards Act and the NYS Department of Labor rules and regulations. The workweek includes flexible schedules depending on the workload, with some weekend and holiday work as needed.
- Strategy plan development:
- Develop comprehensive plan of work to cultivate, solicit and steward prospects
- Identify and formally qualify prospective major and planned gift prospects
- Daily Portfolio Management:
- Support portfolio management for Executive Director and Director of Development and Communications
- Build and maintain relationships with all prospects in portfolio
- Ensure prospects are moved through the portfolio at the appropriate pace
- Donor Cultivation and Solicitation:
- Develop and implement action plans and solicitation methodologies, and actively participate in making asks at the major gift level
- Document Relationships:
- In partnership with the Database Coordinator, regularly update the fundraising database to reflect donor moves management
- Per mission alignment, assess and develop annual fundraising communications and message opportunities, needs, and related language to clarify and identify top priorities and objectives for major donor support planning
- Create compelling proposals, letters, emails, etc., and managing messaging and marketing collateral for all prospecting, soliciting and stewarding activities
- Support overall campaign objectives:
- In partnership with the Executive Director and the Director of Development and Communications, provide critical support to the campaign taskforce and committee to ensure campaign goals are met
- Maintain collaborative relationships with other campaign volunteers and Conservancy staff
- Other requirements:
- Maintain confidentiality regarding all donor and prospect communications and interactions
- Support Director of Development and Communications in maintaining major corporate relationships on an annual basis
Qualifications and Performance Attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Minimum of four years’ activity in development and fundraising, or relevant experience
- Interest in parks, landscapes, historic preservation, and environmental causes
- Thorough understanding of fund/prospect development principles, strategies, and tactics
- Effective communications and presentation skills (verbal and written)
- Savvy interpersonal skills with an ability and desire to relate to diverse groups of people both internally within the organization and externally
- Exceptional organizational abilities with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and work under pressure to meet deadlines and follow protocols in a fast-paced environment; with flexibility to adjust plans and tactics if needed
- Motivated to perform in a constructive, supportive team environment across departments
- Resourceful and proactive in dealing with unforeseen issues or challenges
- Proficiency with all Office Suite software including word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations, and familiar with donor software platforms
- Initially a desk performance position; with growth to out of office solicitation meetings, and occasional support at Conservancy events and other donor interactions, etc.
- Job duties may require an employee to bend, reach, stoop, sit, stand and/or walk for extended periods of time as well as lift and/or move heavy objects at times up to 30 lbs.
- Must be able to adapt to ever changing resources and limited budget
To apply, please email resume to [email protected] or send by mail to:
Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Inc.
Attn: Human Resources
84 Parkside Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14214
This job description is intended to identify and list the responsibilities, duties and qualifications most commonly associated with the position. This listing cannot be considered all-inclusive, as changing organizational circumstances can result in changes to some of those responsibilities, duties and qualifications. Further, every task supporting the functioning of the position may not be listed or not listed in detail. This job description does not constitute a contract of employment.