Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Inc. is committed to diversity in the workplace. Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Position Title: Volunteer Coordinator
Salary Range: $25,000 – $38,000
Reports To: Director of Planning and Advocacy
Supervises: Interns and volunteer groups
Requirements: City of Buffalo residency, Valid NYS Driver’s License
As a member of the Planning and Advocacy Department, the Volunteer Coordinator will be responsible for managing and coordinating all aspects of the volunteer program of the Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy. This position will organize and lead volunteer projects in the field and assist in other community engagement events under direct supervision of the Director of Planning and Advocacy. Additionally, this positon will require coordination across several departments at the Conservancy building strong relationships with both the Operations and Development Departments.
The Volunteer Coordinator must set a positive example and conform to organizational rules, policies and procedures, safety protocols, along with dress and grooming standards as designated in the Employee Handbook of the Conservancy, and Safety Procedures Manual.
This position is full time, non-exempt, according to the Fair Labor Standards Act and the NYS Department of Labor rules and regulations. The workweek includes flexible schedules depending on the workload, with some weekend work and holiday work possible. This will be a mobile unit position serving the entire Olmsted Park system.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruits, trains and manages individual volunteers, teams of volunteers and interns based upon the determined needs including:
- Coordination with Park Operations staff on volunteer support needs for park maintenance.
- Coordination with Community Outreach Manager on volunteer support needs in the administrative office and for events.
- Maintain all volunteer records.
- Maintains accurate record of volunteer activities and database of contact information for individual volunteers and groups
- Ensures volunteers sign in and sign appropriate waivers
- Prepares annual reports on volunteer program, goals, accomplishments and metrics
- Provides information on volunteer involvement on grant reports/capital improvements as needed
- Assists the Director of Planning and Advocacy on community engagement initiatives, including:
- Preparing for and representing the BOPC at community meetings
- Staff support for stakeholder engagement efforts
- Coordinate with Director of Planning and Advocacy and Community Outreach Manager on the development of public educational programs and staff workforce development training.
- Assists Development staff in facilitation of corporate relationships in conjunction with corporate volunteer efforts in the field.
- Participation in BOPC Olmsted Naturally Committee assisting in development of sustainable maintenance strategies for park projects and park operations.
- Assist Park Operations staff on plant material coordination, layout, delivery and logistics for seasonal volunteer/group plantings.
- Attends BOPC staff meetings, as requested.
- Performs other related duties that may be assigned.
Qualifications and Attributes:
- BS/BA four (4) year degree and two (2) years of experience working in environmental education and/or volunteer management preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working with parks maintenance equipment and tools required.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, etc.) preferred.
- Strong organizational skills, with experience in project management and the ability to work independently.
- Professional in demeanor and demonstrated commitment to work with diverse constituents.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Interest in parks and knowledge of basic horticulture principles and terminology.
- A balance of outdoor hands-on work, potentially under extreme weather conditions, and office work managing administrative tasks and volunteer correspondence.
- These job duties require an employee to bend, reach, stoop, stand and/or walk for extended periods, as well as lift and/or move heavy objects at times up to 50 lbs.
- These job duties may require an employee to drive distances between park features or locations, and/or operate heavy machinery.
- Must continuously foster a team approach to working in the park environment.
- Must be able to adapt to an ever changing resources and limited budget.
To apply, please email resume to Beth@bfloparks.org or send by mail to:
Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Inc.
Attn: Human Resources
84 Parkside Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14214
This job description is intended to identify and list the responsibilities, duties and qualifications for the position. It cannot be considered all-inclusive, however, as changing organizational circumstances can result in changes to some of those responsibilities, duties and qualifications. Further, every task supporting the functioning of the position may not be listed or not listed in detail. This job description does not constitute a contract of employment.