Follow this page for latest updates on the turf restoration at Delaware Park following the 2019 Corporate Challenge!
Special thanks to the following partners for making this restoration possible: JP Morgan Chase, Strategic Financial Solutions, Ingram Micro, Labatt USA, Hunt Real Estate, GHD and Curbell
Wednesday, July 3, 2019 | Sod has been installed!
- 3,800 square feet of tall fescue sod was installed near the 15th and 16th fairways where turf was most affected post-corporate challenge (left photo)
- In addition, 100 pounds of grass seed was over-seeded at that area; with more over-seeding planned for the fall
- Our Delaware Park crew is watering approximately 275 gallons daily
Challenges: Sod installation typically occurs in cooler temperatures during spring and fall. The warmer climate slows down grass germination and root growth. To ensure that the new grass is established, it requires a lot of water. Our team mobilizes a water trailer at the site to make this happen.
Stay tuned for restoration updates over the next few weeks!
Wednesday, June 26 | Corporate Partners Align in Effort with the Conservancy and City to Repair Delaware Park
- With a dream team of corporate support, a phased turf restoration process begins next week and will last through September
- The investment requires ground preparation including rolling and intensive aeration, installation of sod on the golf fairways and a fall reseeding of the surrounding areas with a durable sports turf fescue
- The Conservancy has been in consultation with Elbers Landscape Service, Inc. and sister company Great Lakes Athletic Fields on plan development
- Damage is currently estimated at $25,000 for the initial work, and over $60,000 has been raised toward the effort. Any residual funding will be used to purchase turf equipment for the Conservancy’s continued care
Read Press Release
Thursday, June 14 | Turf Damage
- It was a perfect storm of circumstances on the day of the Corporate Challenge with soggy spring conditions, heavy day-of rain followed by an evening storm, and record levels of corporate participation all leading to significant turf damage in Delaware Park
- Nearly 60,000 square feet including two golf holes were affected
- Estimated cost of damage is $20,000